We’re thrilled that you’re interested in becoming a member of Skyland Church! Jesus established the church to provide us with a place for community, worship and spiritual growth. Becoming a member of a church means committing to live a Christian life and sharing God’s love with others by giving of your time, gifts and talents.
We invite you to learn more about membership at two special events held throughout the year. Coffee with Perry provides an informal opportunity to speak with Senior Pastor Perry Shelfer about membership, the United Methodist Church, baptism and more. Café con Josue is a similar event for Spanish speakers with Associate Pastor Josue Quintanilla. Both take place in the Parlor (Room 207) on the 2nd floor. To find out when the next events are, contact Eleanor Flanagan.
Once you have decided to join the church, please contact Pastor Perry at 404-634-6209. He will meet with you and arrange for you to formally join at an upcoming Sunday service.
How to Join Skyland
- If you have never been baptized, you will prepare for baptism.
- If you were baptized as an infant or young child and have not made a profession of faith, then you will prepare to reaffirm your baptism when you take the membership vows.
- If you are a member of another part of the church (e.g. Baptist, Presbyterian or Lutheran), then you can transfer your membership from that church to Skyland.
- If you are a member of another Christian church that does not transfer membership, you can make a profession of faith and be received as a member.
When you join our church, you agree to covenant with God and the members of Skyland to keep the vows that are part of the reception into membership. “Covenant” is a Biblical term that means making a promise or entering an agreement in which both parties make commitments to one another.
A new member will be asked the following questions:
- Do you confess Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior?
- Do you believe in the Christian faith as contained in the Old and New Testaments?
- Do you promise to live a Christian life?
- Will you uphold Skyland United Methodist Church with your prayers, presence, gifts and service?
Yvonne Norman, Membership Secretary